How to introduce a Campaign in your workplace or organisation
Behaviour breeds behaviour so the more of us that use reusable cups the more likely there is going to be a positive outcome.
- Set up your Green Team by making contact with other departments in your organisation such as Procurement, HR, Marketing and CSR there are always people who are interested in environmental issues. A team from a cross section of the organisation can bring a lot of unique skills to your campaign.
- If your organisation is going to supply reusable cups then do not give them away for FREE. In our experience the most successful campaigns involve subsidised cups as people value their cup when it comes with a price even if it is low.
- Once you have a few people on board your committee then you could issue a newsletter/ezine to educate people about our campaign and the issues about disposable cups. At least two weeks in advance of your launch ensure you have posters in the canteen and communicate to employees what you are doing. Good visuals will really help, use the support your Marketing/Advertising department. The success of your campaign depends on the pre-awareness and the conversations you create.
- You could do some research in your workplace to see how many disposable cups are consumed. Have a week where everyone has to dispose of their cups in a certain area and then at the end of the week the visual impact of this will be evidence of the waste generated.
- Organise a lunchtime event to highlight the campaign, ask people to sign a pledge to carry a cup or use a ceramic when sitting in. Make it fun, taking photos and having a competition (see if your organisation will fund some cups).
- If you have a tendering process for catering services in your organisation then you could suggest to the procurement department that in future it includes a policy on
- Joining the Conscious Cup Campaign
- Using only ceramic cups in your canteen and ditching the disposables
- Insist that if they supply compostable cups they come with an extra charge. Your campaign will have instant success if you have a reduction for reusables and a surcharge for disposables.
- Composting their spent coffee beans